Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Oh hey, I forgot I have a blog

No, I didn't really forget, but it probably seems like it to most of you.  The truth is, I have been dreading writing this because I convinced myself that I no longer wanted to document my time here; that I don't want to remember being here at all, and putting it in print will make the memories last forever.  But, it seems like people actually want to know why I do all day long here, so I guess I will try to keep on a regular schedule with my bloggy.


Again, here are some things that I can remember from the past few weeks, or so.


First of all, I went to see my dad in Paris for a few days - he was there for a week on business.  Let me back up, though: figuring out the logistics of being able to see him was hell on earth.  Basically, he was coming, then he wasn't, then he was, then he wasn't.  So, I spontaneously bought a plane ticket on Friday the 17th, and left to go to Paris on Sunday the 19th; however, I was starting to get sick a little on that Thursday, and by Saturday I was really feeling it, especially in my throat.  But since I was determined to see my dad, I think I made it seem like less than it really was.  Fast forward to Sunday night, and my dad is taking me to the hospital (urgent care) in downtown Paris.  Yea, I was that sick.  I am so sorry, dad, that we had to walk all over the damn city looking for the stupid place in the middle of the night.


I ended up having a severe virus in my throat (I basically had strep throat symptoms), and the French doctor (who spoke broken English) prescribed me some medicine with codeine (I wish it would have been stronger because it really didn't help my swallowing pain much at all) to dissolve in water.  Europeans are big on medicine that dissolves in water.  All of my experiences so far have indicated this.  "How many times have I been sick in Europe?" you ask.  Well, I was sick the entire first half of the WAM (Wisconsin Ambassadors of Music) trip in 2008, so I got medicine in London and Switzerland - dissolvable; and my host mom gave me dissolve-y stuff.  So did the French.


In summary: my Paris excursion was worth it, although not at all what I was expecting.  Faj and I got to see the Eiffel Tower together, and we also went out shopping a little on my last night there :)  I am just so glad that my dad was there to take care of me :)


Before Paris I went to see the Seville Royal Orchestra at the Teatro de la Maestranza, and it was amazing!  They played a Mozart symphony, a Tchaikovsky piece with solo cello, and part of a Stravinsky ballet, which featured three vocal soloists.  I loved every minute of it..of course lol.


W.A. Mozart, Sinfonía nº 27, en Sol mayor, K. 199
P.I. Tchaikovsky, Variaciones sobre un tema Rococó, para violonchelo y orquesta, Op. 33
I. Stravinsky, Pulchinell, ballet en un acto para pequeña orquesta y tres voces solistas



I am totally going to go to more concerts, but I am disappointed because they just finished doing the opera "The Marriage of Figaro," and several Mozart orchestra cycles.  Dammit.  I will get to an opera, though - you can count on it.


With API (my study abroad coordinating organization) we visited the Alhambra in Granada.  Here is the Wikipedia synopsis to make it easier: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alhambra.  I gotta admit, it was pretty spectacular, but I was still fairly sick during the visit.


Otherwise, I really have been a pretty boring person.  I have spent a large majority of my free time watching TV shows online (I have to stay current with Grey's, Modern Family, and Once Upon a Time, just to name a few! lol) and reading.  To my surprise (and to the surprise of anyone who knows I don't read books for fun..ever) I have read two whole books already.  Go, me.


One final mini story..
Today I went for a walk with Carmen María (the daughter of my host mom, and the mom of the three-year-old, Delek), and I had such a fun time.  We talked in English for the first half of the walk because she wants help with her English, and then we talked in Spanish on the way home because, well, duh.  We didn't talk about anything in particular, but it was just nice to have someone to spend time with here :)  And she said that we can do it more often, so that will be good.  And I can tell that it was really good for my Spanish.  


One final, final mini story..
Mamá Carmen cooked traditional Spanish paella for lunch today, and it was so gross lol.  Well, I had a separate little vegetable, vegetarian version, but Abbie and Nicole got the crazy seafood one.  I felt so bad for them because the little shrimps had their eyes and legs and all right there in front of us.  Carmen was like, "just pull off the spine and the head and the legs..." NASTY!  They were actually telling me how lucky I was to be a vegetarian at that moment.  Score.


peace & <3 folks











No comments:

Post a Comment